Thursday, November 5, 2009

Music

At some point in the last few years, the music I listen to while I write has changed.

When I wrote my first book, I couldn't listen to music with words. Characters found theme music in Babylon 5 soundtracks or classical music. Battle scenes were written to the soundtrack of Mel Gibson's Hamlet. For short stories, there was bagpipe music, Lord of the Rings soundtracks, Gregorian chants, etc.

I blame my iPod for making songs be the soundtrack of my current writing. When my work office is noisy (all too often) the iPod comes out and the volume goes up. I've learned my brain can work effectively while listening to songs. (Thankfully I remember where I am and don't sing along. Or dance. Okay, it's a good thing you usually can't see my feet while listening to Enter the Haggis or the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack.)

One of the good things about listening with headphones is being able to really hear the lyrics. I've found a number of songs that speak to me and have helped me get through scenes. Some soundtracks are still in play - Lord of the Rings and The Tudors - but Leonard Cohen and Melissa Etheridge, among others, are lending their words and voices to this book. As long as the iPod battery doesn't die ...

2 comments:

  1. Music is an important element when I'm writing, that's why I've been very unhappy with my CD player not working properly. So, I may be investing in a new stereo. Don't like listening with headphones, so I play music on the computer when I'm using it, but the speakers aren't great. Playing Suzanne Vega right now...

    Pinkie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been able to listen to music when I write -- and yet more and more I do find myself listening to music in general. I blame iTunes because now I can buy one song, instead of a whole CD.

    I find music tells their own stories, as opposed to helping with mine.

    Isn't it interesting how different minds work?

    Jana (A bit behind on her blog reading, as you can see...)

    ReplyDelete